Thursday, January 19, 2017

Some of my fitness goals for 2017.

Photo:
How many times do you feel like this when the words
"EXERCISE REGIME"
are mentioned?
I had taken  almost 21 years many years off an official training routine.
Except for brief periods in 2006 and 2014 when I was training
for Kilimanjaro assent attempts.
(Both of which were successful)
My last "official" road race was in 1995!
So, you will understand, that it was with trepidation that I decided
that being healthy and back at training would be a good thing.
In March of 2016, my daughter asked me to join her in a Challenge
that was being undertaken by this awesome on line group.
I have to admit that I was somewhat sceptical in the beginning,
but as I soon came to discover, I was enjoying being able to once again
walk into a gym and not collapse after 5 minutes.

Photo:
Photo:
Although I was not going to participate in this Challenge,
I changed my mind and joined in on day 6...
I have a lot of catching up to do
(That being said, this was the Challenge that started off
my association with the SG community and that means that I
have actually already done Day1-6)

Photo:
21 years ago, my then training partner, Bridgette Biggs
was killed as a result of a fall of a horse.
We had met on a run and she saw me through a tough time in my my life.
It was back in 1995 that I ran my final half marathon, The Old Eds,
which I did to honour her memory.

Photo:
When I decided to return to road running in 2016,
I could not think of a better race than The Old Eds
to start my new running 'career' again.
Back in '95 I had carried her vest with me during the race,
and I did that once again this time.
Although I had not run 21km for 21 years,
my 2016 time was only 1 minute slower that back in 1995.

Photo:
After a lay-off of 21 years,I once again belong to a club.
I look forward to running with Randburg Harriers...
I see that the ASA now have a law that prevents a runner from removing logos.
Something I was guilty of back in the day.
Photo:
Not only have I joined a club,
but I have entered 4 half marathons!
The first being the Johnson Crane, which I last ran back in 1989,
as a full marathon.
Photo:
Proof of my 1989 run.
Cloth track-suit badges are certainly a thing of the past.
(As is waiting for race results, which took forever. 
With the modern technology, results are received via sms,
within minutes of completing an event.)

Photo:
Of the four that I have entered,
I have run three as full marathons.
The fourth, On Die Dam, is an event that I have not entered before.

Photo:
Given my "being-seen-in-public-without-a-shirt" phobia,
This run will be a first for me in many ways...
not only will I be topless in public,
but I will also be in a Speedo!
Luckily for me, so will thousands of other men...

Photo: PHILADELPHIA, PA - MAY 27: Willie Nelson performs at Willie Nelson's Country Throwdown at the Mann Center for the Performing Arts on May 27, 2011 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Jeff Fusco/Getty Images)
These are the two songs that I use to get myself through the
tough times when I am out running
The first one is an obvious choice.
Willie Nelson with "On the road again"...


Photo:
However, I have no idea why I find this song motivational,
but I do.

Kenny Rogers, "The gambler"

Photo:
There is no such thing as a "free" t-shirt,
but currently t-shirts seem to be given out when you collect your pre-entry.
This was not a service that was available back in the '80's.
Then you got a shirt and a medal AFTER
you had completed the event.

Photo:
Yes I can!

Photo:
My commitment to myself for 2017.
And YES, there will be Burpees!

No comments:

Post a Comment