Wednesday, January 18, 2017

My Soweto Half Marathon, 2016

Photo:
This was a first for me...
Not my first half marathon,
but my first in Soweto.
Having read the pre publicity, I was very keen to see if it lived up to the hype.

Photo:
Usually I "carbo-load" before a race,
but I decided to try sushi instead.
Did it work?
I am uncertain as to the energy content,
but it did make be burp a lot...
back to pasta I think.

Photo:
I did NOT have dessert as I remembered that I sometimes had
issues with milk products "repeating" on me during races.

Photo:
Having heard about the traffic congestion at previous events,
I decided to rather be early...I got to the stadium at 04h10!
And the race only started at 06h30...
I was able to find out where the start was going to be,
then I went back to my car to listen to the radio and relax.
All around me, the traffic was increasing...

Photo:
The awesome FNB Stadium...
slowly revealed in the dawn light.

Photo:
The traffic build up...

Photo:
And the runners arrive in DROVES.
I have no pictures from the race as I do not run with my phone.



Photo:

This was my final time...gun to mat.
My mat to mat time was 2: 23.




I took this picture of our pace-setter and his wife just before we set off.
His wife was running the 10km and I am hoping that she achieved her goal time.
I ran the entire route with a sub 2:30 "bus", driven by Khalid Fadal...
and his co-driver Mdlilo, whose whistle skills kept us altogether.
Running with them was motivational as their flag 
was a constant help in finding them after water tables or "pee" stops.
Not to mention all the new songs I learned along the way...
Like the fact that Jay-Z has done a mix of "Hard knock life" 
from the musical "Annie".

Photo:
Now that I know that Soweto is CERTAINLY not flat,
I am keen to return in 2017 to see if I can  better my time
and my position in my age group.
I finished 25th out of 68 Grand Masters.

Photo:
A great medal and an awesome t-shirt.

Photo:
It certainly was the "People's Race".

Photo:
My post race breakfast...
French toast with crispy bacon.
Well deserved, I thought.

Photo:
Freshly showered and shaved post race...
The moustache is in honour of MOVEMBER,
and it WILL be coming off at the end of the month!



No comments:

Post a Comment