Wednesday, January 18, 2017

My Spring Challenge.Why use the word "cheat"?


The dictionary definition of the word is:
"Someone who cheats;a fraud;a deception;to deceive;
to defraud or to impose upon"
Do any of these sound familiar?
They certainly do to me...
It is easy to have a "cheat" meal or even an entire day,
because no one other than you will know it is a "cheat".
So why are we so often focussed on that "cheat" meal,
rather than all the others that we get to enjoy during the course of a week?
Is it seen as a reward for good behaviour?
More importantly, given the Challenges that we have participated in.
why are we rewarding ourselves with food?
What about a gentle run or a gym session?
Just to say to ourselves...
"See I don't HAVE to be competitive constantly"!



If, as the saying goes,
"Inside every fat person there is a thin one trying to get out",
then why do we seem to revert to our default status,
which is usually FOOD.
I have to put up my hand here as one of those...
especially after a long run,
where I will eat almost anything that is not nailed down,
hidden or locked in a cupboard.
And then, true to my nature, I immediately feel GUILTY.


Personally, I have learned that a cheat day
is not the end of the world.
It is merely a stone in the road to your final goal.
I have found that denial is more of a "deal breaker"
and often leads to almost uncontrollable binge eating.
I still have this problem when it comes to two items...
chocolate and condensed milk!
How have I overcome that deadly duo?
I cut them out entirely...
Well, I will allow myself cocoa on a cappuccino
and occasionally I will have a slice of lemon meringue pie.
But from the tin or in slabs...not any more.


I am not asking YOU to deny yourself anything.
I am just sharing with you what has worked for me.
Do I miss either or both? Occasionally,
but I know what they do to my sugar levels
and I therefore believe that doing without is the best option.
  
The lesson that I have learned from the Challenges
is that everything in moderation...
and DON'T feel guilty!
You know what you wish to achieve and
what you will have to do to be successful.
It is all up to YOU
#thechoiceismine 

Follow me as I tackle what might well be the toughest
fitness challenge I have volunteered for.
The challenge starts on May 16 and will run for 8 weeks.



No comments:

Post a Comment