Friday, March 24, 2017

The 2107 Hollard DARE Devil Run.

I have read about this event for several years now.
But until this year I did not have the "balls" to tackle it.
The thought of being in a Speedo, in a public space actually made me want to vomit.
For most of my adult life I have had body image issues,
most all of them imagined rather than actual.
But THIS year I figured it was time to venture forth...

Some of the participants got into the swing of things,
with accessories and body paint.

I, on the other hand, only had my tattoos for "protection"...
This image was my watershed moment, 
when I figured "what-the-heck"...
there are 3000 other guys who are in a similar situation.

Just in case the participants did not know the way to the start...

But all that was required,
was to follow the rest of the guys in purple Speedos
Or, as in this case, purple hard hats as well.

I had thought that it might rain,
as it had done so the afternoon before the race.
But, as it turned out, the weather played along
and sunscreen was being applied liberally.
Even the wind that had been present in the morning, 
died down literally as the gun went off.

Father and son...
What a great way to bond!
This event was not billed as a race, rather a run...
but even then it could be walked if one wished to do so.
Neither was it was not about fitness levels,
it was a "vehicle" to make men more aware of the cancers that are specific us.

3000+ men and boys took to the streets of Parktown.
At the start,
watch the video clip:

Good advice!
If you have not had a prostate exam, please do so sooner than later.
If caught in the early stages it is curable...so get checked on a regular basis.

From the course:
Watch the video clip:

Literally any Tom, Dick and Harry can run...

Even Batman was there!
Without his Batsuit and cape, but he was wearing a mask.

This is a sobering reminder.
It is more common than you think.

A "rainbow nation" of men that were out on a balmy Johannesburg afternoon.

Was there traffic interference?
There certainly was seeing that the run was taking place on a Friday afternoon.
But most of the "stuck" motorists seemed to take it in good spirits.
I did notice a lot of then were taking pictures etc.
No doubt to send home or to the office
to show why they were going to be late.

Oxford road at a standstill...

A big "Thank You" to the JMPD officers as well as all the other marshals.
A thankless task when faced with upset drivers.

One our way back down Jan Smuts Ave on our way to the finish

A bit of "trail running" to get us across the finish line,
which was in a different place to the start.

Bringing it home...
Well done!

My thoughts post race
Watch the video:
Photo:
It was thanks to this on-line community
that I have been able to return to road running.
To find out more about the club,
visit their website:



Photo:
Yes I can!
And YOU can too.
The age old question
"How do you eat an elephant"..."one piece at a time"...
applies to the tasks set in this challenge as well.
I used to run the races by breaking them into 5km segments,
then one of the guys I was running with suggested that 3x7m,
sounds shorter than 4x5+1...

Photo:
This is my commitment to myself,
and by extension to my family as well.
There will  be days that I don't feel like training
but I will persevere!

No comments:

Post a Comment